Monday, June 6, 2011

Word Association for Characters (Prompt)

These next two weeks prompts are going to deal with finding more depth in your characters. You can sit for hours making the background and taste for them but, if they still fall flat, try word association. Don't believe me?

Have each of your main characters come up with immediate responses to the following:

Children

Work

Sports

Death

Light

Liberal

Country

Love

Cat


What do your characters say about each one? How do your characters differ from each other? Is there anything in there that surprises you?

***You can also just look up word association tests online if you want different words.***

This will help you (hopefully) get used to thinking as the characters you write if not reveal anything to you about their personality. But I hope it does both. Tell me how it does (or doesn't) work.



Have fun!

3 comments:

  1. Great list! It seems we can never know too much about our characters. Probably why we feel so attached to them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. My one story has all but liberal. And it came in a flash what my main character would say. Good list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good list but I'm not sure how to seperate my answers from what my character's answers would be. I may have to work at that some.

    ReplyDelete