Is it ever OK to use dream sequences in your writing? Well, I think so but only in certain instances.
1. Your character is psychic and gets visions in dreams.
2. Flashbacks of trauma.
3. The world of dreams is, somehow, where most of this takes place.
4. You are penning a cartoon.
5. It echoes something out of the subconscious where your character remembers some vital clue because of it.
6. Your character has a hard time differentiating between dreams and waking.
Almost always let your readers know that what you are showing them is a dream sequence. And, unless the project you’re working on revolves around them, use sparingly if you must use them at all. PLEASE don’t make the whole adventure your character went through a dream, to find that out at the end is more than a bit frustrating.
What do you guys think about dreams in writing? Have you ever felt cheated by one?