Tuesday

My Monthly Reads

In late August, I went to my local library and borrowed a bunch of books.  It was going to be closed the entire month of September, so they lifted the restriction on how many items a person can have checked out at one time.  I came home with 20 books.

These are the books I've read in the last month.
**********************************************
We are told writers must be readers, and it makes sense.  But many of us don't get to read as much as we want or as much as we think we should.  It doesn't always feel productive to read when we could be writing our own books, our own adventures.  We often weigh the benefits of tasks against each other and, since many of the benefits of reading are intangible, it feels easier to let it slide.  

But no time learning or daydreaming is truly a waste for a creative mind.  Reading a fantastical adventure may fuel ideas for our own.  Researching a new hobby can let us gain knowledge to use in a new story or awaken a sense of play we don't often tap into.  

So, what are you reading lately?

If any of you are curious about my thoughts on one of the specific books,  just ask.

3 comments:

  1. I just finished reading Michael Chabon's Yiddish Policeman's Union, which was beautiful and amazing! I just started Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits by David Wong on audiobook. I'm also working my way through Ulysses by James Joyce for my Monday night classics book club, The Snarling Citizen for my neighborhood book club, and Sisters of the Revolution.

    I've been doing more audiobooks because I do struggle to fit reading time in with the day job, the family, and my own writing time. But, I feel lost when I'm not reading enough.

    Anything in your pile grab you as really a great read?

    @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about the Yiddish Policeman's Union, but haven't read it. Good to hear it's worth the read.
    How do you read so many books at once? I read books fairly fast, but only one at a time.

    I did a full review of Spellwright for my disabled writer blog. I recommend it, though it does have slow spots and ableist language.

    Everything I Never Told You is lyrically written and an excellent account of loss and what it's like to be an outsider. It may say there's a mystery about a girl's death and there is, but don't read it for that... because it's not a murder mystery.

    Lovecraft Country did a good job at being intriguing (fantasy/science fiction) and took on racism. A very solid read but not fantastic.

    I loved A Darker Shade of Magic. The world was cool, the hero and heroine were good together, and it had plenty of action.

    Crime and Poetry was a cute cozy, but most of it is gone from my mind already... so...

    Wait, I'm running away with myself...
    Most had merit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to have a different book and reading situation in each area where I read: bedside, car/schoolbag, audiobook on phone, kindle book on phone. That way, I'm never without something to read. :-)

      Cool, will have to check some of these out, though my TBR list is already longer than I am likely to live.

      Delete