Tuesday

So Not a Princess

Every little girl wants to be a princess, maybe even me once upon a time.  But, it stopped when I was young, probably too young.  I think the end of my interest, honestly, came from animated movies.

The closest thing to me in Disney movies is probably Quasimodo.  He was disabled, isolated, and owns a nonstandard body in a way I could relate to.  He wanted so much to have a “normal life” and, to a child who is very different, it hit on everything so much.  Maybe he didn’t want to be normal, though.  Maybe that was my pre-teen self merely projecting.  I’ve seen the movie once… only once.

I also had other people I related to (somewhat) in fairy tales… the fairy godmothers.  I loved that they were kind, helpful, and often depicted as chubby, just as I saw myself.  No one ever talked about the fairy godmothers’ lives after they helped secure someone else’s blissful ending.  Did they have one themselves?  Did anyone else care but me?  I pictured myself a fairy godmother, sitting down with other godmothers at the end of the day, sharing tea and comparing notes.

There will never be a princess like me.  There will never be anyone like me in fairy tales unless I write one to life.  It matters little now, but maybe it would matter to some other little girl like me.

Did you relate to anyone in fairy tales as a child?

1 comment:

  1. Mostly, I identified with the princes or the villains because at least they DID something. It was a little better with the ones that came out when I was older (starting with The Little Mermaid, probably) because the princesses started to do something besides waiting to be found/rescued. Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and Cinderella were all BORING.

    @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete